WELCOME - SCHS GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Our mission as Sussex Central High School Counselors is to provide a comprehensive, developmental and sequential counseling program that is aligned with ASCA national standards. Our program will focus on the needs, interests, and issues related to the stages of student growth through academic, career, and personal/social development. Our program will support the Sussex Central High School mission which is “to ensure that all students are globally competitive by providing a safe learning environment and the support to maximize student potential in order to fulfill their responsibilities as citizens.”
Our vision as Sussex Central High School Counselors is that our students will have acquired the knowledge, skills and attitudes to reach their fullest potential and successfully manage their lives as healthy, responsible, competent and productive citizens who respect themselves and others.
The School Counseling Department of Sussex Central High School helps students prepare for post-secondary opportunities through classroom guidance lessons, small group meetings, and individualized plans. Examples of some of our college and career readiness activities include:
Beliefs and Philosophy
The school counselors of Sussex Central High School believe:
And that the SCHS comprehensive high school counseling program should:
And that all counselors at SCHS
- Grade level classroom guidance lessons
- School Clubs and Activities Fair
- Volunteer Fair
- PSAT Test (Grade 9)
- PSAT (Grade 10)
- SAT (Grade 11)
- College Representative Visits
- Career & Technical School Visits
- College Application Month activities
- College Application Workshops
- Financial Aid (FAFSA) Workshops
- Scholarship Fair & Workshops
- Knights Return Day
- Military Recruitment
- ASVAB Test
- Career Awareness
- Academic Enrichment Programs
- NCAA Eligibility
- All students have the opportunity to acquire academic, career and personal achievement.
- All students have the right to participate in the SCHS school counseling program.
- Be aligned with the ASCA National Standards and competencies for all students in
- Use data to develop and evaluate program goals.
- Assist all students to overcome barriers that hinder academic, career and personal
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association.
- Participate in professional development activities to maintain a quality school