McKinney-Vento Homeless Regulations
CLICK HERE for a list of student nutrition sites during the COVID-19 school closure.

Education for Homeless Children & Youth

The Indian River School District shall adhere to the provisions of the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act aligned to our policy EE.1. This law minimizes educational disruptions experienced by students who are experiencing homelessness thus ensuring them immediate enrollment.

Under McKinney-Vento, the right to a free, appropriate, public education are part of this Act assuring that all homeless students have these rights. When students become homeless, they can remain enrolled in the schools they have been attending, although they might no longer meet residency requirements. McKinney-Vento also has assurances that homeless students have the right to enroll in a public school even if they lack the typically required documents and immunizations. In addition, the transportation needs with our homeless students are part of these assured requirements to and from school immediately. 

According to the McKinney-Vento Act, “homeless” can be defined as an individual who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, including children and youth:

  • Living with friends or a family member due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason (example: evicted, loss of job, etc.)
  • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate housing
  • Living in a shelter or emergency housing
  • Abandoned in hospitals
  • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations
  • Having a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for regular sleeping accommodations
  • Migratory students meeting the above definition and/or description(s)

To learn if your family is eligible to receive services, please contact your child's school for more information:

CLICK HERE for our McKinney-Vento Building Liaison List

Free legal assistance -
First State Community Action Agency -

Emergency Rental Assistance

DSHA Renter Assistant Program

The Delaware State Housing Authority (DSHA) is currently working to reopen the Delaware Housing Assistance Program (DEHAP) to provide rental assistance for renters financially impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. Delaware will receive about $200 million in Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) funding provided by the recent COVID relief bill. Governor Carney has tasked DSHA with administering these funds for the state. The (DEHAP) rental assistance funding will have new eligibility and reporting requirements. At the moment, DSHA is reviewing the legislation and the guidance issued by the U.S. Treasury.  

The DSHA will be launching a new web portal to provide applicants with assistance and resources. DSHA is working diligently to ensure they can review and process thousands of payments promptly. DSHA encourages tenants to communicate with landlords about participating in the Delaware Housing Assistance Program because both parties will need to provide information when applying. More information to be announced in the coming weeks.  

Transitional families may also to go to  and submit their information to be added to the DEHAP Program update list.  

Tenants who need emergency rental assistance in 2021 can also contact the below nonprofit organizations for possible services.

 Community Resources Center - 302-227-1340
 Catholic Charities - 302-655-9624
 First State Community Action Agency - 800-372-2240
 Salvation Army - 302-472-0731
 West End Neighborhood House - 302-658-4171
 Lutheran Community Services - 302-654-8886

Documentation Needed
 Identification (Driver's License, State Identification Card)
 Provide the Social Security numbers/cards for all the members in the household.
 Proof of residency if the address on your driver's license is different from your home address. Utility bills are accepted.
 Proof of income (pay stubs, income tax return).
 All household bills (phone, utilities, car payment/insurance, etc.)
 Verification of need (eviction notice, utility disconnect notice, etc.)

District Administrator for Homeless Education

Walter E. Smith Jr., M.Ed.

Indian River School District

31 Hosier Street

Selbyville, DE   19975

302.436.1000 (office)

302.436.1012 (fax)